VBScript stands for Visual Basic Script, a scripting language developed by Microsoft to be
used with Microsoft products, mainly Internet Explorer. It has gone through many changes over
the years and is now mainly used as the default scripting language of ASP.
VBScript: Client Side Scripting
VBScript was created to allow web page developers the ability to create dynamic web pages
for their viewers who used Internet Explorer. With HTML, not a lot can be done to make
a web page interactive, but VBScript unlocked many tools like: the ability to print the current date and time,
access to the web servers file system, and allow advanced web programmers to develop
VBScript: Why Learn and Use It?
VBScript is a prerequisite for ASP developers and should be learned thoroughly before
attempting any sophisticated ASP programming. Programmers who have used Visual Basic in the past
will feel more at home when designing their dynamic web pages with VBScript, but it should be known
that only visitor's using Internet Explorer will be able to access your code, while other browsers will
not be able to process the VBScript code.
Tizag's VBScript Learning: Do's & Don'ts
DO Learn VBScript
DON'T Learn VBScript
- If you have a solid understanding of HTML
- If you want to program successfully in ASP
- If you already know Visual Basic and would like to experiment with VBScript
- If you are a hobbyist that enjoys knowing many programming
- If you are developing a web page for the general public
- If your site has visitors who use a browser other that Internet Explorer
If you still want to learn VBScript then let's get started.
Found Something Wrong in this Lesson?
Report a Bug or Comment on This Lesson - Your input is what keeps Tizag improving with time!