Running an ASP Web Page
If you do not know where to save and run your ASP web pages from, this lesson will guide you through
In the previous lesson we installed Microsoft's Server software (IIS or PWS) to enable
your computer to run .asp files. However, having IIS or PWS installed is not enough to run ASP files.
The next step you must complete is to save and run your ASP files from a special location on your hard drive: the Inetpub directory to be specific.
Follow these steps to navigate to this directory:
- Open up "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer" so that you can view your system's files and directories.
- Select and Open the C drive (C:)
- Double click the Inetpub folder
- Double click the wwwroot folder - The full path to this location is "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot" for you advanced users
- Within the wwwroot directory locate the "localstart.asp" file.
This is the same file you saw after completing
the installation in the previous lesson. Your ASP files will have to go into this
wwwroot directory or a contained sub-directory to run properly.
Creating ASP Testing Grounds
Throughout this tutorial we will be referring to the folder "tizagASP" that you should
create if you want to follow along with these ASP Tutorials.
- Inside the wwwroot folder create a New Folder and rename it "tizagASP"
- To access this directory you would type the following into Internet Explorer:
- Where FILENAME is name of your ASP file
All of the files you create while reading the ASP Tutorial should go into this directory.
- Be sure to save your ASP files in a folder that exists inside C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
- Tizag ASP Tutorial saves file to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\tizagASP
- Run your ASP files by using Internet Explorer and typing "http://localhost/tizagASP/FILENAME.asp" without quotes and replace FILENAME with the name of your specific ASP file
Found Something Wrong in this Lesson?
Report a Bug or Comment on This Lesson - Your input is what keeps Tizag improving with time!